Love shopping?Find out more
Thousands of stores, endless possibilitiesFind a store
Pay it on a plan with 0% interest
What is 0% interest?Watch the video
Our video tutorial shows how 0% Interest Payment Plans can work for you.
Misleading statement about consenting to receive credit card limit increase invitations
The Federal Court has ordered us to display this message on our homepage because of what we told our customers about receiving credit card limit increase invitations.
In proceedings brought by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), the Federal Court of Australia (Federal Court) found that we made false or misleading representations in relation to obtaining customers' consent to receiving credit card limit increase invitations after 1 July 2012.
This happened when:
- we sent letters to customers about changing their credit card limits between 1 February 2012 and 27 May 2012;
- we played telephone messages to customers who activated their credit card over the telephone between 5 January 2012 and 27 March 2012;
- we played telephone messages to customers who applied for an increase to their credit card limit over the phone between 19 March 2012 and 27 May 2012.
The Federal Court found that our messages and letters were misleading because the letters and messages represented that you could not activate your credit card or apply for a change in credit card limit unless you consented to receiving credit card limit increase invitations in the future, when the correct position was that you could activate your credit card or apply for a change in credit card limit without giving consent.
How This Affects You
If we made these representations to you, your consent to receive credit card limit increase invitations was not validly given.
If you do not want to receive credit card limit invitations in the future you do not need to do anything. You can still apply for a credit card limit increase at any time.
If, after 30 June 2012, you have provided a subsequent consent to us in relation to receiving a credit limit increase invitations, this letter does not affect that subsequent consent.
If you have any queries please contact us at GPO Box 140 Melbourne Victoria 3001 or 1300 630 977.
Why choose Gem Visa?
3 reasons why you'll be saying 'it's a gem'
Gem Visa's 0% Interest Payment Plans allow you to buy the things you need now with longer to pay, using flexible payment options catered to suit your budget.
You can also use your Gem Visa as an everyday credit card. Shop with ease – anywhere, anytime.
Enjoy 0% interest for 6 months on everyday Visa purchases over $250 or 0% interest for up to 55 days^ on purchases under $250 – it's the clever way to shop.
- ^Actual interest free periods vary from promotion to promotion, check in store for details
- †Subject to credit limit and approval
- *Assumes no other purchases in the same period.
- Monthly repayments generated by this calculator are for extended interest free purchase(s) only, and do not take into account any other purchases or balances.
- This calculator assumes that you make repayments in equal instalments over the interest free period.
- The minimum monthly payment on your statement may be less, exact amount will be specified on your statement.
- If there is an outstanding balance after the interest free period ends, interest will be charged at the current annual percentage rate. Minimum financed amount applies, and interest free periods vary. See in-store for details and for term and conditions.
- Estimated monthly payment excludes the $99 annual fee, which is also charged on the anniversary of that first purchase every year afterwards.